Domain not working.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I was looking at Traceroute on your domain.
Did not see nameservers in your A records.
Example:
ns1.mydomain.com A 99.000.000.100
ns2.mydomain.com A 99.000.000.101

Last edited:

c740015

Reaction score
It was working b4 for a second when I did the nameserver as the domain name.. I changed it to IP to see if that was correct then i changed it back to the domain because that did work....

Now Its not working :( Taking a very long time to load...

Is there a simple fix for this to basically delete the domain from virtualmin and recreate it.... So that it would configure bind its self.

But how would I do this so that if i delete this domain it would not delete my files inside the public_html

If I cange the root folder in apache would this only delete whats inside that path instead so i could make one and point it to a false one.

Thanks.

c740015

Reaction score
Restarting web server: apache2[Wed Apr 14 20:35:36 2010] [warn] NameVirtualHost 216.239.122.34:0 has no VirtualHosts
... waiting [Wed Apr 14 20:35:38 2010] [warn] NameVirtualHost 216.239.122.34:0 has no VirtualHosts
I got this error when restarting apache in ssh

Dam I seriously dunno what I am doing here.

EDIT also PHPMYADMIN wont work now aswell.. Dam what Have i done??

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
That is not really something to worry about as it's only a warning.
If you want to fix it look in the config files for the lines that look like: "NameVirtualHost 216.239.122.34" and remove them, because they are not needed as that isn't your VPS's IP address.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
You may have already tried this, but go to VPS Control Panel, reboot the server, wait a few minutes, go to Virtualmin (if Virtualmin throws error wait a couple of more minutes for server to reboot), restart Apache, start any services that were shut down by the server reboot. May or may not fix your problem but this is something I try when things completely cr*p out on me. Another advantage of trying to reset things in this manner, (IMHO), is that Virtualmin will usually self diagnose and tell you what service is problematic at the moment.

c740015

Reaction score
I have tried everything.. Its just not working..

The more i mess with it the more i mess it up....

Driving me insane now. Annoying...

c740015

Reaction score
O.k. I re-installed every from scratch.. And now still even I'm getting errors with the domain..
some times it loads some times it doesn't

Its not resolving again... So there must be something not set correctly even from default when I have not touched any of the configs.. I restarted bind
and apache.

Went to virtualmin and clicked Re-Check Config. I get a bind error.

Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS servers, or turn off the BIND feature on the module config page.

So I added 127.0.0.1 to the DNS list and restarted apache...

Some times the webpage loads.. then it just hangs...

What is wrong here?

c740015

Reaction score
Is some one willing to look at this for me for a small fee.. As I have some up-dates in about 6-8 hrs and my site has been offline for way over 24 hrs..

I need an urgent fix.. Some one who can point my domain correctly as bind is not configuring it automatically.

Please..

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I'll be willing to take a look for you. But I can't really promise you anything, as your VPS is setup differently to mine.

Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS servers, or turn off the BIND feature on the module config page.
I believe that error message is referring to the system not using itself to resolve DNS requests. This shouldn't make any difference, but if you add "127.0.0.1" to the top of "/etc/resolv.conf" the error may go away.

c740015

Reaction score
Hi TechAsh.
Thats already listed in that file...

But yeah.. If you could please look at it for me because I dunno why its not working. So need some assistance.
To get the site online.
Thanks..

Even if we have to set the domain up differently by changing how the dns works instead of adding
host summarys to godaddy.

Thanks.

What shall I do now?

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Could you create a WebMin account for me and PM/email me the password so that I can access you server.

c740015

Reaction score
Thanks

Sent

If there is something that needs changing in godaddy or anything. Or making it different let me know..

I just want the VPS working.
Aslong as it works thats all that matters...

Most appreciated TechAsh

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I think I've fixed it :)
You site is definitely loading MUCH faster now!

The problem was in the Apache config file. "MaxRequestsPerChild" was set to "0" which basically means that the system starts an Apache process every time it receives a request, but the process doesn't serve the request, it just sits there. I've increased the value to "400" meaning each Apache process serves 400 requests then exits and a new process takes over.

c740015

Reaction score
Nice one I dunno what that is.. But seems I was chasing the wrong tail all the time..

I think its when I rebooted the server that apache decided to change its settings... I not sure...

If I reboot again would apache default to this...

c740015

Reaction score
Wow Nice so everything should work as is...

How come it was set to 0 in the 1st place.. And where is this option for future referance..

You made alot of people happy :)
Your a star ..

Thanks Ash.. Couldnt of asked for better..
Is there a way to optimize this to make it better.
Or is that it?

Your the Man it went from 6 to 25 online.. I was trying so desperatly to get it back up and running.

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I have no idea why it was set to "0". lol

The option can be found in Webmin: "Servers" -> "Apache Webserver" -> "Global Configuration" -> "Edit Config Files" -> Scroll down the file until you see "# prefork MPM" the option is a few lines below that.

No Problem :)

It is possible to optimise Apache and there is plenty of tutorials online for doing it. However the values I set should be fine.

c740015

Reaction score
Ahh cool aslong as everything is set up to run nicely and running as good as it should thats all that matters...

Also I noticed you changed in bind the nameservers to the VPS IP address.. It was before the address of my domain..
when I did a Traceroute. I get this

Query for DNS records for uniquez-home.com failed: Address not available

Does this matter.. Or should I change back to my domain.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter. But you can change it back, as it wasn't what was causing the problem.