Domain

schaap

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to transfer a domain name to x10 hosting services. I'm wondering what the technical difference is between add on domains and parked domains.
Thanks

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to transfer a domain name to x10 hosting services. I'm wondering what the technical difference is between add on domains and parked domains.
Thanks

A parked domain means it has an IP assigned to it and it may have one page
with a message that the domain is parked. This means it is not being
developed or hosted, just parked. This is better than someone trying to get
to your domain and getting a 404 Error but that is all it is good for.

An add-on domain is a domain that points to a folder within a website, but is not merely a redirect to it, as is a parked domain. For example, supposing a website's URL was www.maindomain.com, you could set up an add-on domain such as www.addondomain.com to point to www.maindomain.com/subdirectory/. Users visiting www.addondomain.com/file.html would actually be seeing www.maindomain.com/subdirectory/file.html, even though 'www.addondomain.com/file.html' would appear as the address in their browser.

schaap

Reaction score
Thanx for the reply. Is it therefore nescesarry that I park my domain first and then register it as an add on domain if I want to transfer my domain and hosting to X10 or do I only have to regiter it as an add on domain? I am asking because my registrar doesnt supply hosting and the site is now redirected to my homepage-space (within a frame) provided by my ISP. Because of this the URL never visibly changes in the adress bar (you can see the actual link when in the lower lefthand corner when navigating through the site) and I suspect this might be a problem for search engines because for instance google doesnt list my site, even when I enter the exact domain name.