'Drive-by downloads' getting more common every day

Armacci Design

Reaction score
Anybody know what I'm talking about? I've done some virus cleanup/repair for certain friends and family members, and I've noticed that, almost universally, they (supposedly) didn't download and execute any files. Instead, they have learned that poor browser security plus a evilly-coded website equals instant infection.

While I realize this has a lot to do with the browser being used, the trend toward drive-by downloads is a little unsettling, especially when thinking about all the people who know nothing about computers just innocently surfing about.

Anybody else notice a trend in this, or have any issues? I think I read a statistic that DbD sites were up 30% from last year... yuck.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Anybody know what I'm talking about? I've done some virus cleanup/repair for certain friends and family members, and I've noticed that, almost universally, they (supposedly) didn't download and execute any files. Instead, they have learned that poor browser security plus a evilly-coded website equals instant infection.

While I realize this has a lot to do with the browser being used, the trend toward drive-by downloads is a little unsettling, especially when thinking about all the people who know nothing about computers just innocently surfing about.

Anybody else notice a trend in this, or have any issues? I think I read a statistic that DbD sites were up 30% from last year... yuck.

Yet another reason why you should use Firefox with a combination of UAC in Vista. Using a non-embedded browser and using UAC will prevent these drive-by downloads from happening. But honestly, most of these viruses are caused by the Googlers who click on every link known to man not knowing what was in there. Most of my friends don't Google and are gamers like me, but are online like me 24/7 as well and we don't get viruses. My friends who use P2P programs end up with viruses, same with some family relatives who are Googlers/P2P users. I have to end up fixing their comps every time they get something in there.