File GeoLiteCity.dat is being deleted from my site folder, why?

enterpr9

Reaction score
Hello,

My app uses GeoLiteCity.dat to indicate general location. For some reason the file, which is ~21MB gets deleted from a folder not available to the public, so I assume by x10hosting ..., could that be true? If true, why? (I'm nowhere near my max space limit.)

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance for any help. (I searched the forums using the file name and found nothing.)

Cheers,
-William

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
This would be one of the anti-file hosting systems in place:

File Storage
Hosting accounts may not be used to store backups, personal files, or non-web accessible files. Any files hosted on the account must be directly related to the website the account is intended for. Files over 10MB in size will be automatically removed from non-upgraded accounts.

Unfortunately shy of upgrading, we don't have a way to make an exception for a specific file; the best we can recommend is to have the file hosted off-site if possible, and if not look into alternatives for what you're using (which appears to be MaxMind).

enterpr9

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt response Livewire!

I tried to upgrade my free account to paid on 3 different occasions but am unable to because:
- took me to Premium login screen after entering info but my free account details weren't accepted, never got confirmation email that upgrade was accepted
- now can't enter payment info (the last time 2 times I tried)
- I used the ? icon on the Order pages to ask for help but haven't gotten a reply.

Any suggestions?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The best I can recommend there is using the contact form at the bottom of x10premium.com; you should be getting responses if the message is being sent (I'm not normally part of the premium staff, but I can see their tickets are all listed as Assigned or Closed indicating they all have had a reply). The contact form itself should bypass everything in the ordering system in case something is acting up.