.htaccess file

ihpets

Reaction score
I want to create a pet site using Kitto, (kitto.yasashiisyndicate.org) however when using their guide at the step where it says "rename the _htaccess file to .htaccess" I do as it says but then the file disappears from the file manager. The next step instructs me to edit some things in the file, so I figured I would have to edit the file first and then rename it. So I re-extracted the download and took the _htaccess file, edited what I needed to and copied it back to public_html. But when I try to rename it, there is already a .htaccess file! How do I get rid of the .htaccess file already there if I can't see it in the public_html?

sconcept

Reaction score
You are right.d very time u renamed d file will be hidden.why?it's a sys file.if you would like to see the file again,just go to php.ini setting and turn register_global from On to Off.once you've done that,go back to ur file manager.you should see it.but if d problem still persists,go to back to the public_html folder.upload d file in an already renamed .htaccess and tick overwrite to force out the previous.punch likes if u find it helpful.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
If you are using FTP, make sure your agent (Filezilla, etc) has "show hidden files" enabled.

If you are using cPanel
1. Logon to cPanel
2. At the bottom of the page click reset all interface settings
3. Click on File Manager
4. When the popup comes up, make sure you check the box that says something like "Show hidden (dot) files"
5. You should be able to see, edit, etc .htaccess

ihpets

Reaction score
Thank you, descalzo. That worked for me, I didn't notice that checkbox before. Sconcept, I couldn't find any php.ini setting..

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Sconcept, I couldn't find any php.ini setting..

Because there is none. php.ini is set on a server-wide basis and cannot be set/accessed by individual users.