Jealous See

zen-r

Reaction score
behavior - AutoHide

Will that function work on ichwar himself? It would be nice!

Rocket dock would drive me nuts like that. You can't see the whole window....

Most docks have had Autohide functions since at least the 1990's, so I'm surprised that it didn't occur to you that Autohide was being used on the one in that Screenshot.

Personally, I'm not too keen on Auto-hiding things. I generally prefer them to either be displayed permanently, or to be available via an icon or menu tree.

I find that Auto-hidden objects tend to pop up at awkward moments, when my mouse accidentally strays into the wrong area of the screen.

Last edited:

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not too keen on Auto-hiding things. I generally prefer them to either be displayed permanently, or to be available via an icon or menu tree.

I find that Auto-hidden objects tend to pop up at awkward moments, when my mouse accidentally strays into the wrong area of the screen.
I wanted to have my dock just above my windows bar (whatever it is really called) but the problem was that it was hiding buttons in Firefox, log messages in eclipse and the input area in IceChat.

However, to prevent the bar from appearing at random moments, I set the popup timer to a pretty high value (500ms), and the hide delay to a somewhat small value (500ms).

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Will that function work on ichwar himself? It would be nice!
http://forums.x10hosting.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Agreed... With the exception of most system tray crap that's unavoidable, auto-hide's not a fantastic idea.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The dock auto-hides when I don't use it ;). It only appears when I move my cursor to the left edge of the screen.
That's almost more annoying because it takes so much time to switch windows. You first have to hove the mouse, wait for the dock to appear, click on the icon, and then wait for the dock to hide again before you can see the whole window. I much prefer my 1 click method of swapping quickly between multiple programs.

Linux really is so much easier! ;)

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
One click method? Sounds like the Windows taskbar... It's blanket statements from you saying it's easier when you're wrong that have turned this in to an Internet Argument™ , and for that reason, I'm out.

|
Internet_argument.jpg
| < Picture here, btw, for those with dodgy ISPs...

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's almost more annoying because it takes so much time to switch windows. You first have to hove the mouse, wait for the dock to appear, click on the icon, and then wait for the dock to hide again before you can see the whole window. I much prefer my 1 click method of swapping quickly between multiple programs.

Linux really is so much easier! ;)

The dock appears instantly...

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
the windows button + arrow keys to handle the size of the windows. Windows + left puts the windows to the left, then windows + right puts it to the right, then windows + right + left or windows + left + right restores down, windows + up restores up and windows + down minimizes the window.

Does that work in linux the same way?

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
the windows button + arrow keys to handle the size of the windows. Windows + left puts the windows to the left, then windows + right puts it to the right, then windows + right + left or windows + left + right restores down, windows + up restores up and windows + down minimizes the window.

It's a WINDOWS key, remember? not a Linux key! :biggrin:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, I can set each of those key combinations (and many more) to do whatever I want. That way, I'm not stuck with default 2 or 3 key shortcuts. For example, just hitting the super key swaps windows. It's so much easier than alt+tab!
Edit:
Oh God, here we go. Now you've just gone and lost whatever credibility you had left.

"ugly unfunctionable winDoze"
a) it's not ugly, it's a user interface. And not a bad looking one at that. It's perfectly funtional.
b) unfunctionable is not a word.
c) ... winDoze... really?

Please someone, close this.

Ok, let's just agree that I'm right and you're wrong, and go our separate ways. I tried Linux on here. Let's just say that after too long pissing about with Linux trying to get it to work, and then not even 5 minutes learning how to use the Windows recovery console later, I'm exactly where I started. And pretty ok with that.

And no, I didn't get my analogy wrong at all. Please do not wink at me when you are not female or hot. "kthxbai"

One click method? Sounds like the Windows taskbar... It's blanket statements from you saying it's easier when you're wrong that have turned this in to an Internet Argument™ , and for that reason, I'm out.

|| < Picture here, btw, for those with dodgy ISPs...
How many times to you have to say you're done with this before you actually quit??? It seems you're more hooked on this thread than you're willing to admit.:naughty:

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Yes, I can set each of those key combinations (and many more) to do whatever I want. That way, I'm not stuck with default 2 or 3 key shortcuts. For example, just hitting the super key swaps windows. It's so much easier than alt+tab!

So, for all the posts people have had to make since you started making pointless criticisms & quibbling about vigge_sWe's rocketdock, we have basically concluded what? That Windows can perfectly well manage to display its dock in a multitude of different ways, just as Linux can?

Thanks for wasting our time with this.

... How many times to you have to say you're done with this before you actually quit??? It seems you're more hooked on this thread than you're willing to admit.

Well, it would seem that you write so much rubbish, that people keep feeling obliged to come back, if only to get the "facts" corrected.

I've finally figured out why you called yourself ichwar : it's a typo for ItchWar.

You're just like an annoying itch that we know we really mustn't scratch, but just can't help ourselves from going to war with it! ;)

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
So, for all the posts people have had to make since you started making pointless criticisms & quibbling about vigge_sWe's rocketdock, we have basically concluded what? That Windows can perfectly well manage to display its dock in a multitude of different ways, just as Linux can?
No. You obviously miss my point that linux can handle the dock much better than windos can.

Thanks for wasting our time with this.
Anytime.

Well, it would seem that you write so much rubbish, that people keep feeling obliged to come back, if only to get the "facts" corrected.
Well, if that's the way to keep them coming back, it does work quite well, now doesn't it?!

I've finally figured out why you called yourself ichwar : it's a typo for ItchWar.

You're just like an annoying itch that we know we really mustn't scratch, but just can't help ourselves from going to war with it! ;)
lol. So do you seriously know why I picked ichwar? Or is the secret destroyed with the leaving of Mitch?

zen-r

Reaction score
Would you have believed when you started this thread that you would get 178+ posts out of it?!!

And no, I haven't missed your point claiming that linux can handle the dock much better than windows can, because your point hasn't been proven, & thus can be ignored (as can all your other points).

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Would you have believed when you started this thread that you would get 178+ posts out of it?!!
To say the truth: no. Good work guys, keep it up!

And no, I haven't missed your point claiming that linux can handle the dock much better than windows can, because your point hasn't been proven, & thus can be ignored (as can all your other points).
Hmmm, should I yell at you? Or tell you to back and reread this thread? Or force you to try it your self to see how superior it is? Or just let you continue on in the error of your ways? I really don't know what step to take next.