Networking Help Needed!!

walidno1

Reaction score
i have been trying to play warcraft III at home using a laptop and my pc both running windows Xp service pack 2 32 bit. I tried to network the two pcs using a crossover wire using ethernet LAN (no HUB, direct wire connection...Hardware is working fine so thats not the issue) with no internet connection on either PC. As I said, the objective is to play multiplayer game!!!!!

Here is what I did:

For Laptop:
used the following IP in TCP/IP settings in Network adapter properties:

IP address: 192.168.100.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Rest of the stuff (like default gateway etc.) was left unchanged, meaning blank

For PC:

used the following IP in TCP/IP settings in Network adapter properties:

IP address: 192.168.100.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Rest of the stuff (like default gateway etc.) was left unchanged, meaning blank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From both laptop and PC, I pinged and it returned the reply...meaning the ip configuration was working fine!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next thing I did was to run "setup a home or office network WIZARD" from

control panel->Network and Internet Connections->Network Connections-> "setup a home or office network WIZARD" (from the left hand menu thing)

then this is what I did.in the wizard I clicked:

next->next-> (then on "select the statement that best describes your computer) I chose "other" (since I want 2 PCs to be connected directly without any internet connection in either)-> chose "This computer belongs to a network
that doesn't have an internet connection"->used unique computer Name and description-> next, in the workgroup name I used "HOME"->selected "Turn on File and Printer sharing" clicked next-> after that this came up:

untitled.JPG

I chose "Just Finish the wizard; no need to run the wizard on the other computer--last option" BECAUSE I RAN THE SAME THING IN MY LAPTOP WITH UNIQUE COMPUTER NAME AND DESCRIPTION BUT SAME WORKGROUP NAME "HOME".

THEN I RESTARTED BOTH THE PC AND LAPTOP AND AFTER REBOOT I AGAIN PINGED. Worked fine.

Then I went to

control panel->Network and Internet Connections->My Network Places (on the left hand side, upper part)->view workgroup computers (on left hand side, uppder part, 2nd last option).

THIS IS THE PROBLEM: IN MY PC, EVEN THE PC WASN'T LISTED IN THE WORKGROUP. IN MY LAPTOP, ONLY THE LAPTOP'S NAME WAS LISTED (THE PC WASN'T LISTED UNDER THE WORKGROUP IN MY LAPTOP)!!!!!

WENT TO WARCRAFT AND NATURALLY THE MULTIPLAYER DIDN'T WORK

ALSO, I UNBLOCKED WARCRAFT AND ALSO TURNED OFF FIREWALL IN BOTH PC AND LAPTOP, SO THATS NOT THE ISSUE!!!

HELP!!

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Simple solution:

Undo everything you just did.

Buy a router.

Plug both computers into the router using cat5e, or similar.

Boom, on the same network.

Why are you trying to use a direct wire connection?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know about you crazy kids and your forty-dollar routers, but back when dinosaurs roamed the planet, we used to use crossover cables quite a bit. (Someone must have, otherwise they wouldn't sell them, right?) The thing is, without a central authority, there is little or no discoverability -- in the Windows for Workgroups days, we used to have to build an authoritative list of resources on each machine, and I have no idea where you'd configure that in the more recent flavours. One thing I have noticed, though, and that's that changing the default "WORKGROUP" name is fraught with peril -- you seem to have to have the moon and stars aligned just so and be holding your tongue a little to the left and not quite touching the roof of your mouth when you hit OK, or the value won't be available to other machines on the network.

walidno1

Reaction score
so, I shouldn't try to change the default workgroup from "MSHOME"?? Tried it, doesn;t work!! :(

Come on, I have done networking many times....WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

steronius

Reaction score
maybe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts

Last edited:

jerome990

Reaction score
IN MY PC, EVEN THE PC WASN'T LISTED IN THE WORK GROUP. IN MY LAPTOP, ONLY THE LAPTOP'S NAME WAS LISTED (THE PC WASN'T LISTED UNDER THE WORK GROUP IN MY LAPTOP)!!!!!

WENT TO WARCRAFT AND NATURALLY THE MULTI PLAYER DIDN'T WORK

ALSO, I UNBLOCKED WARCRAFT AND ALSO TURNED OFF FIREWALL IN BOTH PC AND LAPTOP, SO THATS NOT THE ISSUE!!!
Please help me ...