PC or MAC?

Which is better? PC or Mac?

• PC

Votes: 62 57.9%
  • Mac

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Both!

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other (Please state in post which that is!)

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trixter

Reaction score
Mac. Definitely Mac possibly Linux it depends what your doing on it.

lambada

Reaction score
Mac, although I'm using a PC cause my parents don't want to buy me one :p So i've had to compromise by skinning my Xp machine to look like OSX.

Chris Z

Reaction score
I like Macs and PCs, because they've both got their high points. I've tried skinning my PC to look like a Mac, but i cannot stand how it looks when I do that. So if I want a mac look, I'm gonna have to buy a Mac, because all the skins that people produce that look like Mac just aren't good enough for me.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
PC. Can't stand Macs.. after growing up using them throughout elementary school and all the various lockups, I gave up. Windows does not give me nearly as many problems as other people have stated

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
@noerrorsfound; True, but I think he means PC in the Windows sense here. Otherwise Linux, Mac, Dos, and Windows would all fall under PC, so long as they were installed on a computer being used for personal reasons :)

Still, I voted PC. Macs have their points, but I like gaming, and theres simply too many games I like that don't support Mac's.

Trixter

Reaction score
@livewire use Apple D os. its a dual boot system But you can have windows running in the backround While your useing the Mac OS. from what iv seen it looks really cool. :)

Cubeform

Reaction score
PC. Can't stand Macs.. after growing up using them throughout elementary school and all the various lockups, I gave up. Windows does not give me nearly as many problems as other people have stated

Were you using Mac OS 9? Mac OS X is based on Unix and has much less problems. I used to hate the Macs too... until I heard of OS X.

The infamous Mac v. PC discussion.

But why can't you just like both? Each operating system has its weaknesses and strengths; Windows can play games, but is more insecure than other OS's, and Mac OS X is more secure (by design), but can't play as many games. I've lightened my stance from previous Mac v. PC discussions/arguments/flamefests after considering it for a while.

In the looks department, Windows XP's default interface looks like a toy. Windows Vista's interface looks a lot better. OS X's UI still stands up with Vista, but I don't like the brushed metal look of some applications. Linux has Beryl, which gives you effects fancier (and sometimes flashier) than Vista.

You can use a VM to run Windows on a Mac. With Parallels Desktop, you can now run Windows applications "directly" on your Mac's desktop with "coherence mode". No DirectX support... but this feature is (almost) as good.

Last edited:

Zenax

Reaction score
So many of you seem to like both. Yes I meant PC with Windows and Mac with Mac OS. I think many people don't like Macs, because they have simply gotten comfortable with using a PC for too long, and they don't like change.

I personally prefer to use PC's but that is only beacuse I have used PC's all my life and never touched a Mac, so I don't know how they work.

That is another factor with this argument. People who state that they hate Mac's, generally have never even touched one of them, so their oppinion is kind of biased. It is the same the other way around.

I am not saying all people are like that, just a fair majority of people in this world!

Rgamez

Reaction score
Were you using Mac OS 9? Mac OS X is based on Unix and has much less problems. I used to hate the Macs too... until I heard of OS X.

The infamous Mac v. PC discussion.

But why can't you just like both? Each operating system has its weaknesses and strengths; Windows can play games, but is more insecure than other OS's, and Mac OS X is more secure (by design), but can't play as many games. I've lightened my stance from previous Mac v. PC discussions/arguments/flamefests after considering it for a while.

In the looks department, Windows XP's default interface looks like a toy. Windows Vista's interface looks a lot better. OS X's UI still stands up with Vista, but I don't like the brushed metal look of some applications. Linux has Beryl, which gives you effects fancier (and sometimes flashier) than Vista.

You can use a VM to run Windows on a Mac. With Parallels Desktop, you can now run Windows applications "directly" on your Mac's desktop with "coherence mode". No DirectX support... but this feature is (almost) as good.

PC! No doubt about it! Definatly PC! Regardless of the advantage's and the disadvantages!

Last edited:

Cubeform

Reaction score
PC.

More Productivity and More Software Library

How is it more productivity? Sure, you get Office. Office is on the Mac. Photoshop: On the Mac (there's Aperture as well, but that serves a slightly different purpose). What you DON'T have are Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, etc. which are really good media applications that cost less than their competitors.

And "more software" doesn't necessarily mean more choice. I mean, take a look at the media and arts programs; you're more likely to use Photoshop and Illustrator instead of GIMP and Inkscape. And, do you really need all that software? The ones you really need are on both platforms.

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Linux. Windows sucks and mac is extensively annoying. Linux is the only way to go, though I currently am on a Mac and have windows vista at home.

If you're going to get Linux, I HIGHLY suggest using Fedora Core. Make sure you have a high res screen though
Edit:

I'm actually running vista on my mac os x tiger right now, with parallels. Another good program to use is "Apple Boot Camp." it allows you to choose (at startup) whether you want to run mac, windows, or linux (you have to have them each installed on your HD though. It cuts everything in half... creating 2 virtual hard drives). At bootup you choose which hard drive to boot with: Mac, Windows, or Linux.

Ps. I don't use apple boot camp so please don't come to me asking for help, but a few of my friends use it and love it. I am a parallels guy, even though it may be a little laggy at times nor ideal for windows gaming.

Last edited:

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
Windows PC.

There simply isn't any real competition.

Mac is too restricted to Apple only hardware, can't play even a small fraction of the games windows can, and is very unsupported software wise compared windows.

Linux, well it can't play games, isn't as well supported, and there are so many more versions than either Mac or Windows that is it extremely confusing just picking the one you want.

Now i'm all for competition, but the other OS systems just aren't offering what Windows PCs can.

slimjim316

Reaction score
The hardest thing about buying a Mac, is telling your parents you're gay.

Cubeform

Reaction score
Mac is too restricted to Apple only hardware, can't play even a small fraction of the games windows can, and is very unsupported software wise compared windows.

First of all, Apple tried to make Mac OS more open to different manufacturers. If I recall, that nearly destroyed the company and Apple ended the program quickly.

Like I said above, all the software you really need is on the Mac... except for games ;)

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Linux, well it can't play games, isn't as well supported, and there are so many more versions than either Mac or Windows that is it extremely confusing just picking the one you want.

Easy. Fedora Core.

As for the games, it plays online games just fine and if you are going for games then get PC, going for design and graphics, get Mac OS X Leopard. Other than that get Linux. It's so much simpler.

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
First of all, Apple tried to make Mac OS more open to different manufacturers. If I recall, that nearly destroyed the company and Apple ended the program quickly.
Rofl, really? I guess that shows how sucky it is, no one wanted it.

Easy. Fedora Core.
Lol, I know a guy that has fedora core as his main OS. Some of the others are just wierd: "ubuntu"

As for the games, it plays online games just fine
Meh, so does my windows PC.

Other than that get Linux. It's so much simpler.
Except you have to find and install it yourself... Lazy mans not gonna like that. Well, at least until Dell introduce it.