[php][mysql]Select From issues.

Discussion in 'Scripts, 3rd Party Apps, and Programming' started by taekwondokid42, Feb 29, 2008.

1. taekwondokid42

taekwondokid42 New Member

In my mysql entries, many of the entries contain [enter] characters. (These are also known as /n or newline)

When I pull them from the table, all of the /n are turned into spaces. Does anybody know how I can fix this?

I am currently using mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ...");

2. jeyson65

jeyson65 New Member

These newline characters are being returned by the query, it's just that the browser ignores them. You need to replace the newline character with a break tag. Both MySQL and PHP have replace functions so here are your options:

1. MySQL - mysql_query("SELECT REPLACE(<column_name>, '\n', '<br />'), column2, ... FROM...")
    2. PHP - Once you have the string, call str_replace('\n', '<br />', <text containing newline>).

I didn't actually try this but I've done it in other databases and languages. You may have to escape the '\' character (with an extra '\').

I hope this helps.

3. stainnn

stainnn New Member

maybe you should use php's function nl2br($string_that_contains_newline) - it converts new line to <br /> tag

4. taekwondokid42

taekwondokid42 New Member

Thank you, both of you.