Phpbb,SMF Or mybb?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've used SMF for however long I've had a website. Currently have SMF 2.0 Beta installed, so really I have no opinions.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I have used all three of those over time and, in my opinion, MyBB is superior for functionality, appearance, ease of use, and features. But, that is just my opinion based on my own personal experience and others will have different opinions based on their own experience.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Based on personal experiences, I prefer MyBB because of its ease of use, built-in features and just overall feel. I'm currently using MyBB on my site.

MyBB has a decent collection of easy to use plugins/mods. I like the backend admin area and the User CP as well. MyBB is often compared to vBulletin as they do share a lot of similarities.

I'm okay with SMF, though I really dislike phpBB. I tried installing a mod and after going through a long list of instructions, I just gave up.

MyBB has plugin hooks that allows mods without having to modify any core files. However, while plugins are the easiest to install, MyBB is the youngest of them all and therefore has the fewest mods available (though still a lot).

Theming seems much easier on MyBB too.

Last edited:

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Take a look at these:
phpBB 3.x: http://secunia.com/advisories/graph/?type=cri&prod=17998&period=all
SMF 1.x: http://secunia.com/advisories/graph/?type=cri&prod=5285&period=all
MyBB 1.x: http://secunia.com/advisories/graph/?type=cri&prod=4479&period=all

However, MyBB is the least popular of the 3 and therefore, has a smaller community of users and hence leads it to be the less likely target for hacks.

Also, no forum software is perfect and they all will have vulnerabilities but there are usually some actions you can take to further secure your forum.

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
phpBB is the most secure. Definitely.

phpBB is most secure and has an amazing admin panel.
MyBB is easiest for the users and has most features.
SMF sucks.

I always use phpBB, it's easy to customise :)

~Callum

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I like SMF. I am using SMF 2.0 RC3 now. It is improved alot over SMF 1.1.X.

phpbb is tedious to install mods...

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
phpbb my favorite nd the most popular among the given choices.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I would be inclined to say phpBB, because the admin backend is very easy to use, and with the right theme, the whole thing is very quick.

accountab

Reaction score
I have used all three of those over time and, in my opinion, MyBB is superior for functionality, appearance, ease of use, and features...

Ahaa. But why has it the smallest community of users? (Not being difficult... just want to get it right first time!)

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Ahaa. But why has it the smallest community of users? (Not being difficult... just want to get it right first time!)
I think that a one big reason MyBB may have a small community of users is simply because many people are not aware that it exists. Prior to switching to MyBB I was using phpBB until a couple of very knowledgeable friends suggested that I try MyBB, which I did, and was immediately sold on it. But others are also good and, (as demonstrated in this thread), everybody has an opinion about which one is best.
Ask people if they prefer Coca Cola or Pepsi. Ford or Chevrolet. Windows or Linux. :)

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
I tried mybb first time last month when one of my friend converted his site from smf to myBB and I think with myBB we can create next facebook.PHPbb is simple to use but smf is more simple than that.But with simplicity I think these program's features are reduced.Although they support add-ons/plug-ins/mods.So we can have lot of features in all of them.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Maybe I'm having a stupid moment but... Why isn't that included with the phpBB download?

No idea. If it was, it would make phpBB much easier to use for beginners trying to install mods. When I used phpBB over a year ago, I didn't even know that existed.

All 3 are unique in their own special way. :) phpBB has the largest community of users as it is the oldest while MyBB is the youngest.

Last edited: