Resolved Request: Disk space increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

boschett

Reaction score
Hi!
A few days ago I requested an upgrade in disk space, and it was very helpful! Thank you very much.

Since classes were cancelled here in Mexico (because of pandemic), I'm using your service to keep my students active. But I realized today that I had already reached 100% capacity of disk usage (which, btw, I don't really understand why this is :facepalm:). Is there any way I can get another upgrade, please? :oops:

(If not, is there any way to free up space, or is there any documentation I can look into to solve my problem? Thank you very much :oops:)

-D.M.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I can't see your files, so I don't have a way of knowing what's eating up your space, but my recommendation is that you find out where the data is at, then come back and request it.

Space is given to people who are deserving of it, who follow the rules, and who ask nicely. Since you've done these things, I have no reason to see why you'd be denied, but maybe there's some glitch that can be fixed. Or, maybe your kids are uploading too many memes :p

In my experience, limiting hard drive space keeps people from abusing the system and it's safer and easier to make people ask then to just give people a ton and hope it works out.

I find FTP easier to use for this purpose.

Actually, using DirectAdmin is pretty nice. It gives the folder size.

Last edited:

boschett

Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for the reply :cat:

I was just messing around with the File Manager and I found out that all the space is being used by the Moodle directory. I already checked for large files but couldn't find anything particularly large (and no memes either :(:lol:). I already set file size limits for the homework. I also deleted all unnecesary files, but the disk usage doesn't seem to go down :( I hope it's something that can be easily fixed.

Thank you for the support, I'm really looking forward to keeping the website up and going for a long time.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with the last request and increase being less then a week ago, we can not increase at this time.

I did some reading, and it would appear that if you have automated backups turned on, they are stored in those folders as well, so maybe somewhere in the interface you have an option to download/remove older backups?

There's another aspect to keep in mind as well going forward, there's a cap on Inodes (basically any file or folder is an Inode, including mail etc) and you are using up more then half of that by now. This is a hard limit that can not be altered on free hosting, it is however significantly higher on premium hosting.

boschett

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, maybe it is too soon for another upgrade. The first one is still very useful, so i will try to work around the disk usage issues.

I didn't know about the Inodes! :cry:I think the Moodle installation was making way too many small files, so I wiped the disk to host a more compact site to assign homework.

Thank you for the help and for the information!!

(BTW, I think I caused another problem while using the DirectAdmin panel:oops:, but I will post that issue in a separate post, so I don't hijack this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.