[Security Debate] CS Example, mysql module vs in-game query arguement, well developed

Senjai

Reaction score
This is a brainstorm yami and i had on irc, does anyone want to extend on it? really got me thinking

irc.x10hosting.com said:
<YamiKaitou> anyways, someone made a tut that explained how to do SQL querys via the in-game MOTD. He also claimed that it was more secure than using the sql module AMXx has
<Senjai> ...
<Senjai> really?
<YamiKaitou> yup
<YamiKaitou> http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=66493
<Senjai> i kinda doubt it, its hard to picture
<Senjai> well actually, i can see it
<Senjai> before i look at it
<Senjai> can i take a guess?
<YamiKaitou> sure
<DuffyBoi> "/-m to open a new server right?
<Senjai> a sql module, can be accessed via www, or an intruder, an sql query, in a server setup, would be input, but it will be stopped and processed once it reaches the sever, and will not be sent to other clients on the server
<DrTalon> /server -m servername
<Senjai> the only way someone could get that mysql info, is by using a packetsniffer over his connection to the server
<Senjai> which is extremly hard to do
<YamiKaitou> yup
<Senjai> was i kinda right?
<Senjai> because on a gameserver, your not directly connected to other clients, anything you do is sent to the sever, which is then sent to the clients on the server
<Senjai> sql queries would stop at the server
<YamiKaitou> probably, not sure how they have the module set up, but it is definitly more secure than using a web page
<YamiKaitou> yeah, cause the server calls the query and then handles it
<YamiKaitou> client never knows it
<YamiKaitou> unless it is a large query
<YamiKaitou> then, they may see a slight lag spike
<Senjai> wow, thats a real nice topic to think about
<Senjai> anything is more secure than a webpage
<Senjai> websites listen for any connections, on port 80
<Senjai> the server listens for packets from YOUR connection, on a specified port
<port5900> DOSs port 80!
<YamiKaitou> why just do one port, do all the most used ports
<Senjai> lol