Switching To A New Host Because of Your "modsecurity"

ttn

Reaction score
The new things implemented across all servers recently have caused many issues for my site.
Ajax functions don't work here and there, 403 forbidden errors when posting things (which my site requires), also not being able to update my profile on my forum, because you can add a link to a profile image, which I get a 403 error for submitting an image, but if I don't, it works. And it's just a whole big mess. I have come to understand that I need to switch to a better host with not-so-strict modsecurity.

ttn

Reaction score
Just uploaded my site to [another host] now, and now it works fine without any issues whatsoever. I suggest you guys do something about your modsecurity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi ttn,

I am sorry to hear that you have been having issues with our recent implementation of mod_security. The sole reason we implemented mod_security was to help our free hosting users, by greatly improving the security of their websites. Many websites are vulnerable to different kinds of attacks, and we installed mod_security to prevent our users being faced with the inconvenience of having their site compromised or attacked. This module helps stop this by detecting potential attacks, whether it be SQL injection, spamming, specially crafted requests, or suspicious connections. We did this by blocking many IP addresses that were known to be dangerous, and by enabling mod_security's rules.

I completely understand that the addition of mod_security has inconvenienced some people on our free hosting service, however, due to some false positives that have arisen. This is to be expected in newly implemented security additions, and support staff have been going through each false-positive report and tweaking the rules. We understand that mod_security has prevented many suspicious requests, and overall improved the security for our free hosting customers. However, we are aware that there are many false-positives, and we are more than happy to tweak the mod_security rules to prevent these issues. The only way we can do this effectively, however, is that if users report them.

Regardless, I am sorry to see you leave x10Hosting, and I wish you the best of luck at your new hosting provider.

Thank you,

mythusma

Reaction score
As have I, for now I can't modify the CSS in the theme I am using. Something about not having permission to access the page in question. Somebody took a bridge too far, and they missed the bridge.
BTW, how do you cancel an account?

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
As have I, for now I can't modify the CSS in the theme I am using. Something about not having permission to access the page in question. Somebody took a bridge too far, and they missed the bridge.
BTW, how do you cancel an account?
Hi mythusma,

Please could you provide me with a link to the page that is throwing the permission error? :)

If you really want to cancel your account, you can do so by going to Account Settings in the top right, and selecting "Delete Account".

Thank you,

brittbr2

Reaction score
Guys yiu should have posted help on my site I have modsecurity enabled and have no errors yiu need to give the staff time to tweak everything

mythusma

Reaction score
Hi mythusma,

Please could you provide me with a link to the page that is throwing the permission error? :)

If you really want to cancel your account, you can do so by going to Account Settings in the top right, and selecting "Delete Account".

Thank you,

Here's what you need:

http://mythusmage.x10host.com/wp-admin/options.php

That is the page I get. What it says is, "You are not allowed to call this page directly." Sounds to me as though somebody has too much faith in default settings in computer apps.

Update: Tried the link again via this comment, and got the same message.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi mythusma,

Please try disabling the "wp-smart-paypal-payment-or-donation-accept" plugin and try again, as it appears this is not the fault of mod_security. The module will almost always throw a proper 403 Forbidden error message, if it is mod_security causing problems. :)

Thank you,

mythusma

Reaction score
Hi mythusma,

Please try disabling the "wp-smart-paypal-payment-or-donation-accept" plugin and try again, as it appears this is not the fault of mod_security. The module will almost always throw a proper 403 Forbidden error message, if it is mod_security causing problems. :)

Thank you,
I'll try that.