Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Time for an update...

As I'm sure everyone is aware things have been being moved around. After we moved data centers back in February we decided it was in ours and our customers best interests to upgrade all of our hardware. We first moved all of our VPS customers and then started moving our premium hosting customers. The new hardware performed so much better than the old that we decided it would be good to move our free hosting customers too.

Roughly 3 weeks ago we started moving free hosting members over to the new hardware. It is not easy to move thousands and thousands of people so we definitely expected problems, and of course got our fair share. A lot of the issues come from pushing the software we use, specifically cPanel to its limit. We've been fairly successful with creating solutions to each of the problems we've faced and were very confident once we moved everyone and were able to fine tune our solutions things would start to run smoothly again.

2 days ago we hit a wall... we hit a limit in cPanel that is hard coded and encrypted. Because of this limit people will receive an error saying the server is too busy and to try again later. Not only do the users receive that error we as admins receive it also... and on top of that all of our systems that control the server also receive it which in turn breaks almost everything.

When we first started to see this error consistently we opened a ticket with cPanel asking if this value could be changed somewhere or if there is anything they could do to help us. After a few responses back and forth this is the latest one:
Hi,

I have a request in with our QA/Developers to see if this is something we can modify on our end, it may be tomorrow before i hear anything but i will update you as soon as i have any information.

Thank you for your patience.

--
Kevin Asklund
Linux Asst. Manager
cPanel Advanced Support/Training

This response was from a little over 24 hours ago. We are still hoping for a positive answer today. This is where we are at right now, we're waiting on an answer from cPanel to figure out what to do next. If they are able to modify this value for us we should be able to continue moving forward with the moves... if not we're going to have to go back to the drawing board and come up with a new solution for free hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.