WGET Disabled \ Shell access NOT allowed

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I have disabled wget from normal user, use. Starting now we are also strictly enforcing the NO SSH rules. We will now be scanning for people using /bin/sh to execute scripts. You will automatically be suspended if caught.

I see a few people using sh to execute PHP crons. Change your crons to use php -q instead of using sh. You will be suspended for using SH.

I am also restarting the server to make some other changes active. Downtime should be no more than a few minutes.

-Corey

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
Ok!
Thanks for letting us know Corey...
And.. I don't know if PHP-Nuke uses sh or not... Do you know if it uses or not?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe so.

-Corey

jaygreentree

Reaction score
Last I checked nukes don't need cron. but may have changed since I used it last. I prefer to use my own code because its easier to edit something if I know whats there.

Cynical

Reaction score
I think it's safe to assume that if you are writing your own code and you have know idea what Corey is talking about, you'll be fine.

jaygreentree

Reaction score
Cynical said:
you have know idea what Corey is talking about.
Don't take this as me being rude but I know exactly what corey is talking about. He has disabled WGET/SSH for security. I have a linux box at home and have used ssh to install a testing server.

Cynical

Reaction score
I wasn't referring to you, I was stating that for everyone that reads this topic. I myself fall into the category of not knowing what he is talking about.

jaygreentree

Reaction score
Cynical said:
I wasn't referring to you, I was stating that for everyone that reads this topic. I myself fall into the category of not knowing what he is talking about.

Alrigth Sorry about that. wasn't being rude as I said. (maybe this should be locked so we don't get any arguments going on. (not that I was or anything but some users would if they where able.)

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I nvr new we could use the shell and wget and such, hmmm, oh well:p