what OS

Nathan H

Reaction score
Linux for basics, a Windows emulator for anything you can't run straight from Linux, and XP for anything you can't run in the emulator. Make it dual boot.

There is no such thing as a native Windows emulator. You could have linux as a host and run a Virtual machine, but you cannot run windows programs on linux any other way.

knightcon

Reaction score
The problem with Vista is that there are a lot of bugs that have been found with it. If you are going to go for Vista then I would wait until at least service pack 2 comes out. Microsoft is keeping sales of windows xp going till the end of this year and support for xp will go until 2012. By then vista should be ready for general acceptance. But then again this rant is coming from a programmer and web developer so you never know I could just be bias haha

GBH187

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a native Windows emulator. You could have linux as a host and run a Virtual machine, but you cannot run windows programs on linux any other way.

Perhaps you could tell the guys at www.winehq.org that they don't exist.

wine is an open source implementation of the win32api and it allows you to run windows applications natively on linux or pretty much any other near posix compatible os. e.g. osx or *bsd

I'm glad that the internet gives everyone a voice

I just wish people would refrain from posting when they know nothing about the subject matter.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Either openSUSE, Ubuntu or Windows XP. I'd avoid Vista at all costs; Microsoft cannot and will not stop supporting XP because of the large userbase which sees Vista for what it is - bloat. Vista is alright(-ish) when you disable Aero and use the Windows Classic UI, then disable the sidebar, search indexing and all the other 'new features'; basically obliterating the point of buying it.

But yeah, openSUSE rocks, and Ubuntu is second best in my opinion.

-Luke.

Last edited:

kennbona

Reaction score
Vista = Definite No! Reason -> the operating system is still very buggy and it's not the best alround performer. Only thing that favours Vista is DX10 and youll need to install it if you want DX10 effects on DX10 capable games.

XP = Maybe Reason -> most bugs have been resolved, you can get a lot of support if you have a problem as most ppl still use this OS. Good performance, Will run perfectly on Pentium 3's and later as it doesn't consume massive ammount's of ram.

Mac OS "For a mac Pc" -> Stick with mac.. Much more stable than any Windows Version. Only Problem is compatibility, you need to find software that will work with Mac OS and they could be a bit expensive.

Linux "Ubuntu" -> Nice free Operating System but be prepared to to some googling to find instructions how to install Windows os Programs on it. Still a lot of programs dont work on ubuntu. Although this is probably the best OS when it comes to performance.. next to no load on the CUP and and RAM Friendly "Unless you turn up the Eyecandy up too much"

Hope this helps you in your operating system choice

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

One word: Wine. Sure, you may think it's for mac. But it exsists for linux too. I have it on my kubuntu for an example.

I would suggest windows xp. Otherwise kubuntu ;P

mac173

Reaction score
you should go for vista coz there will be no problems for drivers and softwares.........also its less prone to viruses

That statement is wrong on so many levels.......

Vista does not support a host of legacy programs and hardware. My HP printer cannot sync with Vista. I do not appreciate having to buy new equipment I do not need to accomidate an OS. Also, many of my older programs will not run on Vista, the support is terrible.

As for Viruses, I use [a href "http://www.avast.com"]Avast![/a], which is a free virus program. I have used it for 2 years, and not gotten a single virus. Use a NAT router, Avast, and leave the e-mails on the server, and viruses are not a problem.

jdw999

Reaction score
Ubuntu, still on Feisty Fawn (7.10).

I have XP partitions on desktop and laptop. There is no way I am using Vista if I can keep from it.

freemble1

Reaction score
That statement is wrong on so many levels.......

Vista does not support a host of legacy programs and hardware. My HP printer cannot sync with Vista. I do not appreciate having to buy new equipment I do not need to accomidate an OS. Also, many of my older programs will not run on Vista, the support is terrible.

As for Viruses, I use [a href "http://www.avast.com"]Avast![/a], which is a free virus program. I have used it for 2 years, and not gotten a single virus. Use a NAT router, Avast, and leave the e-mails on the server, and viruses are not a problem.
Your HP printer must be ancient.

jaco_don

Reaction score
I recommend Open Solaris .. havn't used it yet but ... its a real time system .. also you can go for Ubuntu ... its probably the best one compared to Windows .. else go with Windows XP for a while and wait ... untill Windows 7 is launched .. great Expectation from it

kkenny

Reaction score
Vista is a no no.

Heh, I suggest a Linux with WINE or XP. Which distro though, is up to you.

Nathan H

Reaction score
What has completely removed all my Vista compatibilty issues is turning UAC off. Yeah its a security feature but without it even some old win95 games are working.

chappill

Reaction score
DO NOT GET VISTA infact stay away from Microsoft unless your getting a jocked up version of XP like black 5.0 because anything else is too RAM and CPU heavy, un-secure and has over 600,000 viruses. If I was you I'd do the sensible thing and get Linux, Red hat, Ubuntu or PClinuxOS are a good place to start as there all user friendly and are main stream so have alot odf programs that run on them (Linux wise) And you can also get vurtual box and run that in Linux if you need Windows programs.

Nathan H

Reaction score
DO NOT GET VISTA infact stay away from Microsoft unless your getting a jocked up version of XP like black 5.0 because anything else is too RAM and CPU heavy, un-secure and has over 600,000 viruses. If I was you I'd do the sensible thing and get Linux, Red hat, Ubuntu or PClinuxOS are a good place to start as there all user friendly and are main stream so have alot odf programs that run on them (Linux wise) And you can also get vurtual box and run that in Linux if you need Windows programs.

This is a personal opinion, and besides, its not resource intensive at all compared to some of the recent versions of linux i have seen. I run vista and it hardly touches the resources on my £400 computer, and the only reason there are virus' on windows is because it's popular. as soon as linux becomes a major portion of the market, there will be virus' for it too. All you need to do is get a free program like AVG as well, combined with Spybot S+D and you got a nice stable secure PC