Window Service Pack SP3, where to download?

rolandr

Reaction score
I was attempting to dual boot my laptop (Window / Linux [Ubuntu]) when I messed up during the partition step and had to do a re-installation on Window XP.

Anyway, this laptop (Dell Inspiron 8600) had the update Service Pack 3, but the installation disk is Home Edition XP SP1[?]. I'd like to upgrade to SP3 since many of my apps needs XP to be have SP3.

... I see a few site that has SP3 download for free. Is this free download SP3 possible a "Trojan Horse" virus download?

Is there site that is "safe"?

I don't even know if SP3 is free.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Visit this link below for the SP3 download. Don't even bother with Windows Update until AFTER you have installed this file, since the SP3 installer will install all of the offered updates in one shot. Saves you time and keeps the system less cluttered. Since you already have SP1 installed, you should not need to install anything else for SP3 to install. If so, it will let you know. If you did NOT have SP1 installed, a small download called SP1a would be needed to "roll-up" the operating system so that SP3 may be installed right off the bat.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Last edited:

rolandr

Reaction score
essellar your link http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com did update me to SP2. Not sure why it didn't continue to update to SP3. Nevertheless, pleased with the update.

Smith6612, I'm downloading your link as of typing this. I'll tell how it goes.

Thanks guys!
edit: YES, my laptop is now update to SP3!

Just wondering since I download this file, if I could apply this to my buddy's desktop computer with XP Professional but he has modem line so just wondering if this file is independent of having to be on-line. Anyone know?

Last edited:

simon.evanz48

Reaction score
Another great tool for providing Official /unofficial updates is a little project called AutoPatcher I believe its group is part of the Neowin forum (I maybe wrong, its been a while) But I highly recommend this one-click app that will not only update your XP install to the latest versions but will offer you additional "hidden" optional extras that are considered Reg fixes etc. Take a look its kind of a cool tool if you into re-building old PC systems or just need to quickly and effectively format /update your XP Box.

krofunk

Reaction score
essellar your link http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com did update me to SP2. Not sure why it didn't continue to update to SP3. Nevertheless, pleased with the update.

The reason windows update only bumped you up to sp2 is that you cannot skip a service pack. if you visited the site again it would have updated you to sp3.

if you had tried Smith6612's link before upgrading to sp2 it would have failed stating that it requires xp sp2.

In answer to the question above, yes thats fine so long as he has sp2 allready.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The reason windows update only bumped you up to sp2 is that you cannot skip a service pack. if you visited the site again it would have updated you to sp3.

if you had tried Smith6612's link before upgrading to sp2 it would have failed stating that it requires xp sp2.

In answer to the question above, yes thats fine so long as he has sp2 allready.

Not at all. As long as at least SP1 or SP1a is installed, SP3 will install everything needed as it also includes the patches from Service Pack 2. If SP2 was needed I would have mentioned it ;) . If the SP3 install fails however the system is running SP1 or SP1a, something else is wrong with the system.

At first, Windows Update would naturally prefer to upgrade to Service Pack 2 and then to Service Pack 3. Microsoft suggests installing SP2, however from personal experience it is not needed and you achieve the same results by skipping SP2. Saves time and bandwidth (if you're limited), and ensures the install goes cleanly.

Last edited: