Wordpress Upload Issues on Free Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals),

So over the past almost two weeks we've been trying to resolve the issue that's going on with media uploads from Wordpress. When users upload through any built-in WP uploader, they are given a HTTP error, or an HTTP 503, depending on which uploader is used.

That being said, the images are uploaded, however the thumbnails aren't being created for most issues. This is because the library used to process images, Imagemagick, is experiencing an issue with memory limits. This is on our server side, and we're working to fix it.

The current workaround for this, until we can resolve the issue with Imagemagick, is to install and activate this plugin: Force Regenerate Thumbnails

The plugin forces WP to use GD as the image processing library instead of Imagemagick. Unfortunately, Wordpress does not have the built in functionality to change the default processing library--only a plugin can do this. This plugin also adds a bulk action to the media section of Wordpress, allowing users to regenerate thumbnails for all their images.

In my testing on all the free servers, this plugin resolves the HTTP errors given by uploaders, and allows for thumbnails to be generated correctly. The plugin, however, must stay activated in order to resolve the issues.

W're still working on a global fix for the issue, but for now, please install this plugin to resolve the errors.

If you have any questions about this, please post here and I'll try to answer them with any information I can share.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, once we fix the underlying issue, any images uploaded while the plug in is active will remain when the plug in is removed.

pnutx10m

Reaction score
Since I have seen this issue I have used next gen and normal uploader to get images on site but the add media does not work. I cannot get any images to show on the website which means my trial on servers has stopped. Please can you advise how to get the add media working again as the images are there just not showing on published website.

Also, when I try to add a header in wordpress I get the 503 error despite the image being on derver already. I will try the plugin suggested above as well in the meantime

pnutx10m

Reaction score
I have installed plugin as suggested but the images still do not appear on the published page although the header has now been accepted so thank-you for that. Please help!

cuetrafi77

Reaction score
I have thought it before and decided not to test this add-on on my site. So, I rather waited and here is the test result; its not working for you.
Why don't x10hosting isn't fixing this issue, I mean the original one - Imagemagick. Please, its hurting.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Since I have seen this issue I have used next gen and normal uploader to get images on site but the add media does not work. I cannot get any images to show on the website which means my trial on servers has stopped. Please can you advise how to get the add media working again as the images are there just not showing on published website.

Also, when I try to add a header in wordpress I get the 503 error despite the image being on derver already. I will try the plugin suggested above as well in the meantime

I'm having no issues on any of the free servers with this plugin installed with having images appear in the posts/pages. Can you please link me to an example on your website?

I have thought it before and decided not to test this add-on on my site. So, I rather waited and here is the test result; its not working for you.
Why don't x10hosting isn't fixing this issue, I mean the original one - Imagemagick. Please, its hurting.

We're working on a fix. Unfortunately, fixing this requires recompiling PHP on the servers, and that will most likely be done when we update to PHP 5.5.

llangaro49

Reaction score
I have installed the Force Regenerate Thumbnail plugin, however all my images now are unable to see:
http://www.leolangaro.x10.mx/
Plus, when I try to download a new image to my media library, the following message appears:
503 Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily busy, try again later!

Is there any relation with the installed plugin?
Many thanks

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I have installed the Force Regenerate Thumbnail plugin, however all my images now are unable to see:
http://www.leolangaro.x10.mx/
Plus, when I try to download a new image to my media library, the following message appears:
503 Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily busy, try again later!

Is there any relation with the installed plugin?
Many thanks
Only error I see is the picture in the middle returns a HTTP 404 (Not found) error, attempting to load http://www.leolangaro.x10.mx/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMG_20140117_100801-640x395.jpg . Looks like none of your pictures exist, on any page, right now. Other than that, congrats, it looks professional and sleek.

radiopie

Reaction score
Hello I had the same issue. I added the following at the bottom of my wp-config file:

add_filter( 'wp_image_editors', 'change_graphic_lib' );
function change_graphic_lib($array) {
return array( 'WP_Image_Editor_GD', 'WP_Image_Editor_Imagick' );
}

and it resolved my problem. Photos are uploaded normally.
I hope this resolves the problem temporarily until it is fixed :)

llangaro49

Reaction score
Hi guys,
My photos are uploaded, however they just appears like an image icon. When I try to edit they appears normally in the wp editor. But visually on posts just an icon appears.

radiopie

Reaction score
Hi guys,
My photos are uploaded, however they just appears like an image icon. When I try to edit they appears normally in the wp editor. But visually on posts just an icon appears.
Llangaro when you select an image to add to a post there are some options over the "Insert to post" button that says "Attachment Display Settings.There is a size options. I hope this solves your problem.

llangaro49

Reaction score
Llangaro when you select an image to add to a post there are some options over the "Insert to post" button that says "Attachment Display Settings.There is a size options. I hope this solves your problem.
Sorry Radiopie, but no results.
Even when I upload to my media library the image doesn't appear, just the icon. When I try to edit the image it appears normally like an image:Edit Media ‹ Leonardo Langaro Blog — WordPress - Google Chrome 04032014 115841.bmp.jpg
and when I try to view the image just an icon appears: DSCF3887 - Google Chrome 04032014 120109.bmp.jpg

pwr2smrk

Reaction score
Hello,

I understand the issues here, and will attempt to solve an issue I'm having with the same method. The issue I have is in regards to the Customize feature, specifically the DW Timeline theme's Cover Image option. Here is my URL:

http://powertothesmarks.com

Like I said, I'll install the plugin you suggested and see if that fixes my problem. Hopefully it's all lumped under the same issue, but we'll see. I'll make an edit with my progress update.

EDIT: Installed/activated the plugin, solved one issue...but not this particular one, lol. I can't tell if it's a theme issue or a hosting issue, any help would be most appreciated. (Do I need to open a new thread?)

Last edited:

ssherman70

Reaction score
I had the errors mentioned 503 and http errors. I tried the Suggested plugin "force Regenerate thumbnails" and it worked great. Thanks

critter74854

Reaction score
Hey,
just wondering if there's any update on resolving the issue with Imagemagick?

Thanks

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey critter

We're actually in the middle of migrating to PHP 5.5.. hopefully some of the updates in this will allow us to fix the issue with imagick.

cuetrafi77

Reaction score
Yeh! it is now totally fixed without any plugin.
Everything is normal again.

pHp version is updated; so, imageMagic or Imagic whatever it is would work seamlessly.

Last edited:

chatngox

Reaction score
Failed to allocate memory in 'class-wp-image-editor-imagick.php' again. lol

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
That'd be because we just installed Imagick. :p Working on it. In the meantime... plugin!

Status
Not open for further replies.